Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Best Reality Program You're Probably Not Watching

Just about everyone has heard of the Fox hit show, Hell's Kitchen, which debuted on the network over 5 years ago. It is hosted by celebrity chef and all-around jerk, Gordon Ramsay, and has become one of the highest-rated shows on Fox, and one of the longest-running reality programs that doesn't feature celebrities. It's an OK show, filled with plenty of drama, but it's actually not the best Ramsay-hosted program out there. To me, that would be Kitchen Nightmares.

Now I used to have a Friday nightlife, which is seldom the case anymore. Most people do however, and Nightmares has found itself an unfortunate time-slot in Friday prime time. The show's premise is very simple - Ramsay, who is a skilled chef, stops by crappy restaurants across America and helps them change direction, often saving them from failure. Gordon Ramsay could easily be dubbed the Simon Cowell of the Kitchen - he is a belligerent a-hole at times, but he knows what he's doing. He also knows how to encourage people and motivate them when it's most needed.

I'm not a huge reality cooking show fan, but Nightmares is really more of a self-improvement show akin to what you might see on TLC or HGTV. Even with his relentless crustiness, you will find Ramsay endearing at his softer moments. Though it fares pretty low in ratings, it really is a good show, and if you find yourself in on a Friday night, this should definitely be a show you watch.

2 comments:

  1. I really dislike Gordon Ramsay, but that actually sounds like something I would like to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this show. I watch it on Hulu. Or used to. In the summer when nothing else was on. I think Ramsey's hysterical. But it does make me really grossed out in some restaurants because I picture what must be in their fridges. Oh gosh. I might puke right now.

    ReplyDelete